Mittwoch, April 18, 2007

Hay Hay It’s Donna Day #11 - Mousse


Helene from Tartelette is hosting the 11th Donna Hay event with the theme mousse. As a huge Donna Hay fan I'm going to take part in this hhdd #11 as I did two times before after I found this wonderful event in the www.

As you can see in Helene's invitation she's using some Martha Stewart candle holders to serve her mousse. I'm going to use a Martha Stewart recipe for my mousse. I found it in the newest issue of her magazine Living

Lemon-ginger-mousse
and
pistacchio tuiles


(In Germany I bought some MagicCover's, so I don't have always to take care about all of those
Singaporean ants waiting right in front of my kitchen window for me to start preparing our meals.)

Ingredients for the mousse:

4large eggs
150 gmsugar
(I used only 130 g)
160 mllemon juice, freshly squeezed
1 tspginger, finely grated
240 mlheavy/whippening cream


Preparation:

Whish eggs, sugar, lemon juice, and ginger in a medium, heavy saucepan. cook over medium-low heat, stirring, until smooth, about 4 minutes. Raise heat to medium; cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, 7 to 9 minutes. (I made this in a double boiler/bain marie.) Pour through a fine sieve into a bowl. Place plastic wrap directly on surface, and refrigerate until cold, about 30 minutes.
Using a whisk, beat cream until soft peaks form; fold whipped cream into lemon mixture. Cover, and refrigerate at least 30 minutes (up tp 2 days). Spoon into bowls, and serve with tuiles.

Variation 1
    I think it will be a good idea to substitute the lemon juice with either coconut milk or pandan juice and the ginger with desicated coconuts. In this case you'll receive something Kaya-like.
Variation 2
    Substitute the lemon juice with a stock made with bruised and brewed lemongrass and instead of the ginger use grated lemon peel.


Ingredients for the tuiles:


150 gsugar (I used only 130 g)
3large egg whites
1/8 tspsalt
30 gmbutter, unsalted, melted and cooled
2 Tbsall-purpose flour (I used an organic, unbleached, and stoneground one; I weighted the flour and it was exactly 22 gm.)
xxxgpistachios, unsalted, shelled, finely chopped (I used them unblanched )


Preparation:

Preheat the oven to 180 °C/350 °F.
Whisk sugar egg whites, and salt in a medium bowl until sugar has dissolved. Whisk in butter, then flour. Stir in pistacchios.
Line a baking sheet with a nonstick baking mat. Place a long-handled wooden spoon on a clean work surface; prop up each end on a metal spoon to raise ot slightly (you will use handle of wooden spoon to form tuiles).
Drop teaspoons of batter onto baking mat, spacing about 2 inches apart; flatten into 1½ inch/3,8 cm rounds. Bake until pale golden, 8 to 10 minutes. Let cool on baking sheet 30 seconds.
Working quickly with one cookie at a time, use an offset spatula to lift cookies from sheet and drape them over spoon handle. (If cookies become too crisp to work with them, [oh how do I wish that this will ever happen here in this humid country,] return to oven until pliabale, about 1 minute..) Let cookies cool slightly, 20 to 30 seconds, then remove from handle; press sides together to slose. Let cool completely.
Repeat with remaining batter.
Tuiles can be stored in an airtight container up to 1 week.


After several trials to form tuilles in this humid climate of Singapore I know already that I can't manage this in my tiny, unairconditioned kitchen. I simple wrapped the baked tuilles with the parchment paper and gave them immediately into a zip bag (to keep all those tiny ants and the termites away from them).



For variation 1 and 2
    Replace the pistaccios with desicated coconut shredds.
























7 Comments:

At 17 April, 2007 19:35, Blogger Helene said...

Sounds so yummy! Anything with lemon is #1 in my book! Good luck!

 
At 19 April, 2007 00:03, Blogger Scott at Real Epicurean said...

And for me, the combination of lemon and ginger is a classic. Your mousse sounds delicious!

 
At 25 April, 2007 07:06, Anonymous Anonym said...

Your mousse looks (and sounds) wonderful!

 
At 25 April, 2007 08:10, Blogger Brigitte said...

Thank you all for your kind words.

Vote for the "best" mousse from this hhdd could be done at the round-up from now on till April 29th. Just send an email to: marinette1ATcomcastDOTnet
and announce your favourite.

 
At 25 April, 2007 12:06, Blogger Barbara said...

I love the combination of lemon and ginger. Next time I have the flu and my husband offers to make me a lemon and ginger drink I'll demand a lemon and ginger mousse. Thanks for joining HHDD.

 
At 25 April, 2007 15:56, Blogger Unknown said...

Another combination of exotic flavour!! Great job!

 
At 27 April, 2007 06:55, Blogger Dolores said...

Congratulatons -- you've turned what are 'comfort food' flavors for me into something exotic and interesting. Like Barbara, I'll never look at flu medication the same way again. :)

 

Kommentar veröffentlichen

<< Home