Mittwoch, März 14, 2007

Monthly Mingle #8 savoury cakes

Meeta from What's for lunch honey? is hosting the MM #8. The theme of this 8th monthly mingle is savoury cakes. When I read this suddenly one of my favourite savoury cakes came into my mind. It is a cake with zucchinis in a kind of whole wheat-short crust pastry.

I've made this cake quite often. I found it in a German book called: 100 Kochideen, my sister in law gave me many years ago. Even if this is an old book and often recipes become oldfashioned like their prepartion methods, this book is still modern, in my eyes, and carries a lot of delicious recipes.

The savory cake I'm going to make for the "monthly mingle event" is

Zucchinikuchen auf Tomaten-Salbei-Sauce /
Zucchini cake on tomato-sage-sauce



(This photo is my entry for the "Does my blog look good in this?" event April 2007)

Ingredients:


250 gwhole wheat flour, preferably organic and stone-ground
1egg
125 gbutter
ground nutmeg
herbed salt, optional
pepper
salt

butter for the mold, melted

600 gzucchini/gourgettes, sliced

1clove garlic, minced
3eggs (I used only 2 extra large eggs and the batter was good and enough for the cake)
150 mlheavy/whippening cream
3 tspparmesan cheese, grated
1hint nutmeg
herbed salt, optional
pepper
salt

2small onions, minced
3cloves garlic, minced
50 gbutter
500 gtomatoes, diced, I've chosen ripe Roma-tomatoes on the vine
1 Tbsptomatoe paste, I used one made from dried tomatoes
1bayleave
6dried sage leaves
½ tspthyme

¼ lvegetable stock [ oh, :-(( my last preserving-jar - I have to make some new ones]

herbed salt, optional
pepper
salt
1 Tbspbalsamic vinegar

1bunch sage and thyme, mixed


Preparation:

Mix together the flour, egg, butter and spices to a firm dough.
Preheat the oven to 180 °C.
Brush a quiche-mold with the melted butter.
Cover the bottom and rim of the mold with dough.




Lay out with the zucchini slices. Bake for 15 minutes.
Whisk together the eggs, cream, garlic, parmesan, nutmeg, pepper, and salts.






Pour this mixture over the prepaked cake. Continue baking for 30 minutes.








For the sauce melt the butter in a saucepan. Sweat the onion and garlic in it for 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes. Sautée for 5 minutes. Add the bayleave, thyme, sage leaves. After further 5 minutes add the vegetable stock and let simmer for 10 minutes.









Discard the bayleave. Purée/blend the mixture until smooth. Season with pepper, salts, and vinegar. (I dripped just some vinegar into the sauce.)






Cut the cake in portions and serve with the sauce. Garnish with thyme and sage sprigs. Additionally I draped a rose from peeled tomato skin.


4 Comments:

At 14 März, 2007 01:24, Blogger Dolce said...

Der Zucchinikuchen sieht sehr hübsch und dekorativ aus!

 
At 14 März, 2007 09:29, Anonymous Anonym said...

Everything about this looks fabulous. Beautiful presentation. This is a must try!

 
At 15 März, 2007 04:38, Blogger Meeta K. Wolff said...

WOW! Fantastic looking cake. Thank you for the entry.

 
At 17 März, 2007 04:23, Blogger Astrid (…and the kitties too) said...

wow, der kuchen sieht so klasse aus mit der zucchinischeibendekoration :o)

 

Kommentar veröffentlichen

<< Home