Freitag, Oktober 20, 2006

Hey, hey...

what's going on, this is one of my favourite food book author's (see lower sidebar)? Now, there's really a blog event "Hay Hay It’s Donna Day". I'm speechless!
I have to participate. It is a must for me to join due to my love to Donna Hay, sweets (which means the soufflé won't be savoury even if I have such a delicious cheese soufflé recipe) and since I've bought a lot of ramekins recently.
Finally THE opportunity to use all of my frozen egg-whites which I haven't used for my
holiday bakery and which I've collected again in the meantime. That semolina-poppyseed-"Auflauf" itself is a soufflé as well, a giant soufflé which I "cook" quite often it's so delicous. Now a tinier version for this blog event HHDD#9 hosted by Tamy.

Recently, in that restaurant called Saint Julien I had such a wonderful soufflé it was creamy and fluffy. Sadly the recipe for it is not written in the
book offered from that restaurant 8,00 S$ underneath the prize of the bookstores. I fancy all those soufflé from Bakerzin even if you have to wait for it at least 15 minutes . It is said that you have to order a soufflé as a dessert right with your main course.

For sure it is "easy" to make soufflé with ramekins or some other adequate dishes. But what to do if you don't own some?
On my search for an appropriate recipe I've found
peppermint soufflé in chocolate crépes in the book „Nur das Beste“ from Michel Roux, and I thought: "That's ingenious that's the way I'm going to make mine. This, maybe, will be an animation for somebody to try a souffleé even without an proper dish."

As a "companion" to this (from me slightly modified) dish I was choosing dulce de leche frozen yoghurt from the book „A passion for ice cream“ from Emily Luchetti while I browsed my books.


My entry for HHDD#9 is:

Cherry soufflé with dulce de leche frozen yoghurt and cherry sauce




First I started with the ice cream.
I made only half the amount. You find my declaration of weight in such
[ ] box brackets.






Ingredients:

1 cupdulce de leche [110 gr] ( Here
I found only one with chocolate and one with banana flavour so I've chosen the chocolate one to match with the crépes)
1½ cupsplain yoghurt [150 gr]
¾ cupwhipping cream [55 gr]
¼ cupmilk [30 gr]
1/8 tspkosher salt [1/16 teaspoon]

In addition I put
[8] cherries pickled in alcohol (e.g. maraschino),coarsely chopped, to the mixture.


Preparation:


In a bowl, whisk together all the ingredients until well blended. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or up to overnight.







Churn in an ice cream maschine according to the manufactorer's instructions. Freeze until scoobable, about 4 hours, depending on your freezer.








For the soufflé itself prepare 150 ml crème pâtissière first.







Ingredients:

24 gregg yolk
25 grfine sugar
8 gflour, shifted
100 mlmilk
1seeds of half a vanilla pod
a few butterflakes or icing sugar
(I received exactly 22 gr from an XXL egg
. So I needed only about half a teaspoon from a second egg. I'm going to use the Leftover eggyolk for an eggwash to brush my breakfast rolls. You can use it as well with the porper amount of eggwhite for the crépes.
Instead of the seperate sugar and vanilla seeds I choose my own vanilla sugar.
I added already those 30 ml cherrie liquour to the
crème pâtissière.)


Preparation:


Whisk the egg yolk together with 8 gr of the sugar until pale yellow. Carefully stir the flour in.
Bring the milk with the remaining sugar and the vanilla seeds to a boil (I don't think it should really boil). Whisk one third of it into the egg mixture,
stirring constantly. Give it back to the saucepan.




Bring almost to the boil over moderate heat, stirring constanly. Let thicked for about 2 minutes. (As always I did this in a bain marie/dobble boiler.) Transfer to a bowl.






Sprinkle either the butter or the icing sugar over it to prevent the formation of a skin.




You can prepare that cream up to three days in advance, refridgerate it, and heat it gently over warm water.





The soufflé batter will be spooned in 6 chocolate crépes
instead into dishes .







Preparation:

63 grflour
15 grcocoa powder (I use only unsweetened)
200 mlmillk
1egg
50 grsugar
1 hint salt
100 mlwhipping cream

½small new potatoe
15 grclarified butter/ghee


Preparation:


Sieve flour and cacoa together.







Stir in 66 ml milk, egg, sugar and salt carefully with a whisk. If the batter forms a smooth paste add the remaining milk and the cream.


Sieve the mixture into a bowl, cover,and let steep for half an hour.










Preheat a pan, dip the potatoe into the clarified butter, and rub it over the bottom of the pan.
Once again stir the batter.






Bake the pancakes each side for about 1 minute, just covering the bottom of the pan with the batter. Keep them warm stacked with parchment paper between.






I thought a warm cherrie sauce will match this dessert.







So i pitted some
cherries, and let them steep together with some
cherries, pickled in alcohol, and

a bit sugar in a small pan for several hours.
Added some cherry juice (and some cherry liquour as an alternative if you don't have pickled cherries), and let simmer until thickened and caramelized.
I had 11 of those delicious Rainer-cherries [98 gr] left. I added 11 "alcohol cherries" [28 gr] f
or justness, and one tablespoon of my vanilla sugar.





Now prepare the soufflé batter.







Ingredients:

150 grcrème pâtissière, heated to room temperature
30 mlcherry liquour (or thickened juice for children) - I'd added the liquour already to the
crème pâtissière
140 greggwhite
40 grfine sugar
50 grbitter sweet chocolate, good quality (I use my couverture from Michel Cluizel), chopped
The remaining egg white from the
crème pâtissière is not enough for the soufflé batter. If anybody has no frozen egg whites left over from cooking and backing and has to use fresh eggs you could use the egg yolks for pasta doughs for example Spätzle (swabian dumplings).


Preparation:

Preheat the oven to 200 °C (400
°F).
Stir in the liquour to the crème pâtissière.
Beat the egg whithes until they form stiff peaks. Add the sugar and whisk vigorously until the batter is really firm
.

Put one third of the crème pâtissière into it and whisk to a smooth paste.








Add the remaining egg whites and fold in. Carefully stir the chopped chocolate in.







At the end the assembly:

Lay out the crépes on a backing tray. Carefully scoop the soufflé mixture in their middle. Fold the crépes, and put them in to the hot oven immediately for about 3 to 4 (mine needed 6 minutes) minutes.
Meanwhile arrange the ice cream and the cherry sauce on a olate, and serve it with the soufflés as soon as they are ready baked.




I baked one "ordinary" soufflé in a ramekin dish and served it with a pancake, ice cream and sauce.
A cold espresso espuma will be a perfect match.

And for all of you out there in the www, believe me, it is not really challenging to make a soufflé, just follow stricktly the recipe and add the beaten eggwhite right before baking. Then you can even, like I did, make all the other batter in advance.

3 Comments:

At 03 Februar, 2007 16:57, Blogger Barbara said...

Your soufflé sounds delicious Brigitte. Thanks for joining HHDD.
Barbara
www.winosandfoodies.typepad.com

 
At 04 Februar, 2007 12:13, Blogger Rachel Rubin said...

Wow! That looks great. You did so much work - even making your own ice cream. Can I come over for dinner?

 
At 05 Februar, 2007 08:35, Blogger Brigitte said...

Of course. There are NO leftovers. But if you'll ever have a stopover in Singapore just let me know.

 

Kommentar veröffentlichen

<< Home